Block Commodities, a leading Agri-Tech company in Africa, is building Farmer 3.0, a new agricultural ecosystem based on three main pillars: empowering smallholder farmers, creating a tokenised system, and developing smart agriculture.
Block Commodities is bringing African farming to a whole new level. Based on disruptive technologies such as blockchain, AI, smartphones, cryptocurrencies and data sharing, the company is building an ecosystem to enhance agricultural activity and production using a blockchain-powered platform that is integrated with machine learning, predictive behavioral analytics and data-driven marketing.
The pilot project started in Uganda in September, when 1,000 smallholder farmers were granted cryptocurrency loans. The farmers were provided with access to finance and credit, allowing them to purchase fertilizers, seeds and tools.
Block’s experts estimate that lack of information, poor transparency, severely limited access to funding and financial incentives, and inefficient trading practices hold back farmers’ production by 50% of its potential – a gap being narrowed by Block’s initiative.
But financial exclusion doesn’t just hold back farmers from growing their production, it also prevents them from climbing out of poverty, since without the right tools, they cannot produce at a sufficient level for commerce. The granted cryptocurrency loans can therefore help scale up production to commercial levels without the need for banks or other institutions.
Innovation and agri-equipment, as well as the use of intelligent data, will help farmers better manage the conditions and resources for production, such as changes in weather, soil fertility and policy making. Smart solutions create an integrated system where farmers can take control of their production and not be left at the mercy of traders.
“When we look at the farming and agriculture landscape in Africa, in terms of production and economy, we see there has been great exclusion of small-scale farmers from the market. 90% of food for the continent comes from European commercial farmers. Block works to integrate smallholder farmers into the system and give them access to the markets by adding value to their practices,” says Clinton Van Eden, head of Africa operations of Block Commodities.
The new farming ecosystem promises to reset the African economy to one that is more inclusive, diverse and tailored to the needs of its own population.
- Blockchain used to empower African smallholder farmers to enter the global food market – November 6, 2018
- Blockchain Company Reveals a Powerful Fitness App Aiming to Reward Workouts with Tokens. – November 2, 2018
- WeedMD and Blockstrain launch Proprietary Genome Tracking Software to Protect Cannabis Genetics & Intellectual Property – October 25, 2018
- Richard Branson’s Extreme Tech Challenge announces 2018 Winner of its fourth annual Competition on Necker Island – October 25, 2018
- Investx stabilizes Token by adopting Holo’s Ethical ICO model – October 25, 2018
- MIT Silvio Micali’s Algorand announces $62M in Funding and Appoints new Executive Team – October 24, 2018
- Partnership between Charity Game Master and SilverLogic Marks Beginning of a Worldwide Charity Health Network – October 22, 2018
- Blockchain-enabled supply chain platform ensures legal flow of products through the Canadian cannabis market – October 19, 2018
- New Documentary Funded by Crypto Shows People’s Problems and Tangible Solutions through Blockchain – October 19, 2018
- Number of Blockchain Startups have Tripled In Israel – October 18, 2018
- Report sheds new Light on Participation or Involvement of Celebrities in Blockchain and ICOs – October 18, 2018
- Record Rate of New Crypto Hedge Fund Launches in 2018 – October 17, 2018
- Woz U and BlockGeeks Announce New Partnership, offering Career Training with Expertise in Blockchain Technology. – October 15, 2018
- VNX Exchange announces Partnership with NEM, Bridging the Gap between the Mainstream Financial Industry and the Crypto-economy – October 12, 2018
- Health Data Tokenization could Transform the Future of Healthcare – October 12, 2018
- DNAtix And Biologix are launching a Pilot in Nigeria Aiming to Offer Advance Genetic Services – October 12, 2018
- Everest, and 1000 Alternatives, announce new partnership to accelerate blockchain innovation – October 11, 2018
- Hedge fund manager to disrupt traditional venture capital model with decentralized blockchain ecosystem – October 10, 2018
- First Non-Custodial, Community Owned Crypto Exchange launched by Trinkler Software – October 10, 2018
- Growing Popularity of Cryptos, Drives Surge in Next-Gen Financial Solutions – October 10, 2018
View All Articles