This story is part of, our full coverage of Samsung Unpacked.
Update, 8 a.m. PT: Check out our full hands-on. Original story continues below.
Samsung’s Galaxy Buds 2 earbuds are just one of the products unveiled at the company’s late summer. The new set of $150 true-wireless earbuds feature active noise canceling in a smaller design that should fit a wider variety of ear sizes than the larger and more expensive . Images of the Buds 2 had along with some specs but no exact pricing.
Available for preorder now and shipping Aug. 27, the Buds 2 come in four colors (graphite, white, olive and lavender) with a white charging case. They cost £139 in the UK. Australian pricing for the earbuds wasn’t immediately available, but £139 converts to roughly AU$260.
According to Samsung, the Galaxy Buds 2 are 15% smaller and 20% lighter than the, but don’t offer as much battery life. With noise canceling on, you get up to five hours of music listening (with an extra three charges from the charging case) and up to seven and a half hours with noise cancellation off. The Galaxy Buds Plus don’t have active noise canceling, but they’re notable for their long battery life, which lasts up to 11 hours.
Like the Galaxy Buds Plus and Galaxy Buds Live, these have an IPX2 water-resistance rating, which means they’re sweat-resistant but aren’t designed to take major splashes. The Galaxy Buds Pro are fully waterproof with an IPX7 certification. And Samsung says the design has been updated for “all-day comfort.”
Stay tuned for our hands-on impressions. In the meantime, here’s a look at the Galaxy Buds 2’s key specs, according to Samsung.
Galaxy Buds 2 key specs
- Price: $150 (£139, converts to about AU$260)
- Available Aug. 27
- 15% smaller and 20% lighter than Buds Plus
- Earbud weight: 5 grams (0.18 ounces)
- Sleek curved shape for improved fit and shielding against wind noise
- Three sizes of tips (and a fit test in the companion app)
- Dynamic two-way drivers
- Active noise canceling can cut background noise by 98%
- Intelligent mics use machine learning to filter out background noise
- Three microphones on each earbud (two outer beam-forming mics, one inner)
- 5 hours of battery life with noise canceling on (three extra charges in case for 20 hours total)
- 7.5 hours with noise canceling off (29 hours total with the charging case)
- 1 hour of play time from a 5-minute quick charge
- Charging case charges has wireless and USB-C charging (it’s the same size as the case for the Galaxy Buds Live and Galaxy Buds Pro cases)
- Bluetooth 5.2
- Codecs: Scalable (Samsung proprietary), AAC, SBC
- IPX2 water-resistance (can resist water that hits the product at a 15-degree angle or less)
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, hall, touch and VPU (voice pickup unit)
- Four colors: white, olive, lavender, graphite (case is white for all)