This week, Block.one, publisher of the ground-breaking EOSIO blockchain protocol, kicked off the Grand Finale of its EOS Global Hackathon series in Cape Town. Its EOS Venture Capital business unit is set to award US$500,000 to one winning team on December 7.
The Cape Town event is the finale of the EOS Global Hackathon series, which has been held in five continents around the world this year, involving a total of 1,724 participants so far. Following the final event, EOS VC will have awarded US$1.5 million in prize money in the series.
A total of 19 teams from the previous EOS hackathons will be competing this week, with three African teams, Africonnect, B-TAX , Ubuntu Energy Ledger – all from Kenya – joining as finalists from the Block.one Africa virtual hackathon held last month.
The Grand Finale involves an Incubation Week, an intensive seven-day program in which finalists attend expert talks and sessions to learn more about important business and blockchain topics.
Each day of the Incubation Week has a different theme, such as Business Review on day one, Customer Insight on day two, Blockchain / Token on day three and Success Metrics, Investor Relations, Demo Day and Awards Ceremony being the subjects on the last three days.
Specific session topics include: know your customer, token ecosystems, financial modeling, and investor strategy, among others. Participants will also receive daily coaching and feedback from Block.one mentors on product development and how to formulate investment pitches.
The event will culminate in a Demo Day where finalists will showcase blockchain-based applications they have been working on and compete for the grand prize.
A panel of international judges, including global technology and blockchain leaders, will select the winner.
The winning project will be chosen based on the following criteria: whether it has a sustainable business model that can grow with outside investment; if it has a market large enough to succeed; the feasibility of its use as a scalable blockchain business; the quality of the presentation pitch and demo and its real-world application and the ability to solve an existing problem.
“We believe blockchain will redefine the Internet and society,” said Block.one President Rob Jesudason. “EOSIO will ease the path to adoption of blockchain technology by creating a system that makes doing business more safe, secure and transparent. The potential to change existing centralized models of commerce and communication is exponential.”
Ahead of the Demo Day and awards ceremony on December 7, finalists will also have the opportunity on December 6 to participate in a Block.one-sponsored off-site tree planting exercise.
The tree-planting is part of Block.one’s commitment to the environment and is in-keeping with its approach to the development of the EOSIO blockchain protocol, which is also more energy-efficient than other blockchains, due to its use of the Delegated Proof of Stake (DPoS) consensus mechanism and the absence of digital token mining on the blockchain.
- G20 leaders call for taxation system of cryptocurrency – December 3, 2018
- Grand Finale Week of Block.one’s EOS Global Hackathon Kicks Off in Cape Town, set to award US$500,000 to winning team – December 3, 2018
- UTRUST announces Partnership with Payrexx to Change European Crypto-Payment Landscape to User Friendly Platform – November 29, 2018
- SportsFix to launch 150,000 Crypto Wallets with ProximaX – November 27, 2018
- London Block Exchange and AlphaPoint Mined First Digital Pound Sterling Ever – November 27, 2018
- Swytch announces Launch of Secure AI-Powered Renewable Energy Platform on Blockchain – November 26, 2018
- All Star Team Announces WHIRL, a Socially Driven ‘Pay it Forward’ Crowdfunding Platform Built on the Blockchain – November 22, 2018
- A Review of this weeks Market Collapse, this was one of the Most Dramatic Daily Selloffs in The Entire Year. – November 21, 2018
- Blockchain New Foundation of Democracy? Blockchain Based Voting app VOATZ could Lead the Way – November 20, 2018
- Switcheo Network Launches First Exchange to Support both NEO and Ethereum blockchains. – November 20, 2018
- Datametrex and Nexalogy Environics develop Fake News Detection Filter – November 19, 2018
- Kinesis Money and Allocated Bullion Exchange seek to create a commercial blockchain venture with Jakarta Futures Exchange in Indonesia – November 16, 2018
- Transform Group CEO Michael Terpin Named one of the Most Respected ICO Advisors and Influencers – November 10, 2018
- WISeKey Announces Release of WISePhone, the First Ever Secure Android Blockchain Phone with Cryptocurrency Payment Capabilities – November 9, 2018
- WISeKey Announces WISfans, a Platform that Deters Counterfeiting of Branded Sports merchandise and Connects Clubs with their Fans – November 8, 2018
- Radiant Earth Foundation teams up with Blockchain software company ConsenSys to Make Geospatial Data More Accessible – November 8, 2018
- A Class Action Lawsuit Has Been Filed Against India Globalization Capital, Inc. by Gainey and McKenna & Egleston – November 7, 2018
- Blockchain used to empower African smallholder farmers to enter the global food market – November 6, 2018
- Blockchain Company Reveals a Powerful Fitness App Aiming to Reward Workouts with Tokens. – November 2, 2018
- WeedMD and Blockstrain launch Proprietary Genome Tracking Software to Protect Cannabis Genetics & Intellectual Property – October 25, 2018
View All Articles