9.16 am: The Kedarnath Temple in Uttarakhand opens for devotees.
9.12 am: The Delhi Police arrest businessman Navneet Kalra, who is accused of hoarding and black marketing oxygen concentrators.
9.06 am: The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation on Sunday shifted patients from Covid centres to government hospitals amid Cyclone Tauktae warning, The Indian Express reports.
More than 600 patients were shifted from three jumbo facilities till late Sunday evening.
8.48 am: Visuals from Sardar Patel Covid-19 Care Centre in Delhi.
8.46 am: The police say two persons were held for black marketing of oxy flow meters at Jodhpur’s Mathuradas Mathur Hospital, reports ANI.
8.44 am: Uttarakhand Health Secretary Amit Negi says that cases will be registered against hospital superintendents if death figures of coronavirus patients, who were treated at a Covid-19 hospital, are not provided to the state control room on the same day or if the data of the same is concealed, reports ANI.
8.28 am: The Telangana government announces suspending its coronavirus vaccine drive for individuals above 45 years of age who want to the second shot, reports News18. In an order, the government said there was not enough Covaxin shots and that the state government has not received fresh stock from the Union health ministry.
8.26 am: Virologist Shahid Jameel resigns as the chief of the Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genomics Consortium, a scientific advisory group that coordinates the country’s genome sequencing work. He has, however, not given a reason behind his resignation.
Read more here: Coronavirus: Virologist Shahid Jameel resigns as chief of genome sequencing group
Here are the top updates from Sunday
- India on Sunday registered 3,11,170 new coronavirus cases, pushing the country’s tally of infections since the pandemic began in January 2020 to 2,46,84,077. The toll rose by 4,077 to 2,70,284.
- Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar said that coronavirus vaccination is likely to be suspended in the city on Monday due to Cyclone Tauktae. It will resume from Tuesday. In Gujarat, vaccinations will be on hold till Tuesday.
- The Centre issued new coronavirus-related guidelines for peri-urban, rural and tribal areas, taking note of the “gradual ingress” of the infection in these regions.
- The Centre said that more than 1.84 crore doses of coronavirus vaccines were available with states and they will receive nearly 51 lakh more over the next three days. Meanwhile, the CoWIN portal used for online registration of coronavirus vaccines has been reconfigured to reflect the extension of interval for two doses of Covishield to 12-16 weeks, the Centre said on Sunday. It, however, added that the online appointments already booked for the second dose of Covishield will remain valid.
- Bharat Biotech announced that its coronavirus vaccine Covaxin is effective against the mutant strains of the virus, including the ones first detected in the United Kingdom and India.